Thursday, January 5, 2012

From Killarney to Ennis- County Clare

Well needless to say I may have woken up a bit late today, but since I went to bed earlier today,I think it's okay:) I slipped getting into the shower and am the proud owner of a beautiful blueishgreen map of Ireland bruise on my left shin. But the water is hot so I am a happy girl! I'm off to shop, but I should warn you, I have no intention of buying anything. You're definitely being thought of-in my thoughts I've spent tens of thousands-something for everyone, in reality I'm telling myself you'd rather I enjoy the trip for a little longer! It's blowing rain sideways so after window shopping, I head to the bus station to see about going to Ennis-just hearing County Clare makes me think it will be 70 and sunny! Ha! Or there will be a pub with heat:)
Here's where I thought I'd share my random thoughts from my time away so far! Ready?
Random thoughts:
Body Byrne was on my flight to Dublin. Who's he? I didn't know either. His wife had on trainers that said Mrs. Body Byrne. I finally googled it to see that he is a fitness guru. "Bowdeee" not "body". He was very fit!

There's a difference in my back pack...I know it can't be age! It does seem heavier, though. But wow do my thighs feel good! Carrying 60 extra pounds is great when you can drop it on the floor every so often! Tom Sprott-I miss borrowing your backpack! It is clearly superior.

Walk left...everyone walks left, not right. I think I've got it down

Buying nothing experiencing everything-this is my shopping motto:/

Everything is better in Ireland 

All butter seems to be Irish butter, how nice!

I miss my girls;)

Even if I can't understand em I love em-the accents are so varied here, but everything is delivered with a smile
F@;( and s/:( sound better here; I know it seems contrary to the above thought, but when you're in a pub, or listening to a life story, these words come up!

I miss my heels:(

The newspapers show that houses are at 50-65% of their peak value-sounds familiar

Do Irish girls have any idea how beautiful they are? I'm amazed makes me think they could do without the super short skirts-whether 14 or 40-something, I've seen a lot of them

On a bus I see a girl who is so slender and narrow she makes me wonder if this is what my Ryry will look like as a teenager. She's gorgeous and might have had the copper hair that Ryry has now, but has chosen to lighten it with steaks of blond. I wonder if the mom is named Kristin or Bridget because every time this pretty girl or her boyfriend inch nearer to each other, the mom inches them further apart!

I'm amazed at how we all look the same and so different. Standing next to me now is a woman I could swear is my aunt Sally and I've seen lots of other lookalikes too!
Now on the train I'm reading the sports page (shocker) and there is a picture of Kevin Donnelly who looks just like a friend with the same name-he might be a tad younger than the Kevin I know as he seems to hiding a pint behind his feet on the ground

Chocolate I've tried thus far: Butler's milk chocolate with almond, Marks and Spencer milk chocolate "with nuts" yum! I'd say Butler's has the upper hand!

The Blessed Virgin Mary is everywhere. Big small and medium grottos and other displays for her are evetywhere you look. This to me is further evidence that Ireland is loved. Also a great reminder of passion commitment and faith. I'm glad to have the reminder. It makes me me smile every time I see her:) also an excellent reminder to send up a prayer, and I do.

As we pull into Ennis the rain has somehow gotten worse. I immediately decide to spring for a cab. Thankfully, there is one waiting for all of us wet passengers-imagine my surprise;) marge is great and we talk about options for accommodations. I know, I know...but coverage has been spotty at best. I end up at The Olde Ground. Yep! It's the five star place in town. But places are booked up-that much I can confirm from earlier research. Emily at the front desk takes pity on me and drops the rate by 20€. Hooray! I bet there is hot water here for sure! I'm thrilled, if only to get the cold water off of me! And change clothes. Since this is a nice place I feel a dress is in order and I just happen to have one rolled up in the bottom of the bag! Hooray! If only I had heels! I miss my heels:) I decide to stay inside-the reviews say there's a pub on sight with traditional Irish music-I've heard Irish bands singing American music, I'm ready for the real thing. Poet's Corner has a great hot meal for me instead of the snacking I've been doing. The game is on and I decide two things:
Soccer players are cute
This pub is too quiet
Emily recommends a pub crawl of sorts: Cruise's, Knox's, Brogan's...I'll hear Irish music the second I step out the door! Map in hand and my personalized pub crawl outlined, I'm ready to hear some tin whistle! Alas, no live music tonight but lots of fun people, they just all want to get to bed by 9:30; Christmas is over they say. Bring back Christmas I say;)
So look at me! I've had a fairly quiet night after all! It means I'll be rested for Galway tomorrow. Maybe I'll be a Galway girl! Goodnight

2 comments:

  1. Meg -I love reading your post and you are the best wing man ever. You went all the way to Europe for a Project. I had given up on you and our Projects from the Merck days glad you still have my back. Have fun.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will bet you see Ryan, Cait, and Nora everywhere! They are lovely little Irish lasses, after all ;) Cait said prayers tonight (it is kind of her thing!) and you were tops on the list followed by mamo, papa zack (yes, zack!), megan weise, sean, and cake. The girls miss you but I know they feel as we do -happy you are having an amazing experience in Ireland! Are you heading back to Cork for the job offer for a bit before moving on? Keep posting- and send some dang pics for crying out loud. I want to see what you see ;) love you!

    ReplyDelete