Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Welcome to Glasgow! I'm in Scotland!

Welcome to Glasgow! I've chosen to stay at the Marriott for free because Homestead House was kinda pricey. But first I walk the town before tomorrow's walking tour. Now that I'm at the Marriott, I'm on the phone with b of a. They've chosen to decline my charges since I arrived in Scotland. Verrrry inconvenient. After a verrrrry expensive call, we're back on track. Oops they forgot to input Scotland as a place I'd be traveling. Note to self....ergh! They are certainly not going to ruin my day. I find a cute place online  (I'm  craving a nice glass of wine) and look it up on the map, then I map out a backup and I'm off. This happens when the city is so easy to navigate...can't find the first one and the second one is vvvveerrrry quiet. They recommend Kudos next door for good wine and a bite to eat. I walk by it. It doesn't look like me, I'll keep walking. Brat alert! It's totally me! I come back the servers are fabulous (there's a line on the glass to show the proper pour, evidently that line is not for me!) i have a nice little salad with chicken-protein, aunt Mary! I'm going to head home early tonight so I think about the Death by Chocolate...it'd be a heck of a way to go and the waitress assures me it's fat free. Only for you, Kristin, do I indulge. Yummmmmmm! But I can't go straight home now! My hotel is probably a two mile walk, I'll need to go further to walk this off! I'm going to walk through the station, though. It's so gorgeous! It makes me sad to think that so few people dress up and enjoy train today, but so happy to think of all the people who have been here and all the places they came from and went to! Oh they have a champagne room. Linda! I don't even like champagne, but I'll make the sacrifice just for you;) actually, I order prosecco. It's fabulous and this little glass will be the end of my day! Off to sleep early tonight. Uh oh! Honestly, if it wasn't for Kristin making me eat chocolate or Linda for forcing me into a Champagne room or this guy buying me a glass of prosecco, I'd have been asleep for hours now! Honestly! Not really. Now three beautiful girls come in and sit with me at the bar. Actually kind of envelop me.  Like my friends in Galway, they've got a great spirit about them, just absolutely uplifting. I don't think the guy who bought the drink is too impressed that the girls have come over here to sit, nor are the three cute boys on the opposite corner. I mention it and they shrug. They'll check them out later. They are on a girls night out and ready to celebrate! My new best friend,  Claire's husband is in Russia. That seems so far away and she's so young I'm glad she's out celebrating with great friends! Claire  is assistant manager at MAC-she should be their spokeswoman! I'm wishing I had more time/she was working while I'm here so I could get a makeover. If she had the eyelashes with her she could get them on me right here at the bar! How cute would I be! And she has a fabulous Swarovski ring in red, we decide I definitely need it in pink! These three are hilarious! The other funny thing is the cute young guys are too intimidated to join us but here comes 50something married Andrew right into the mix! He's very nice and pays me the compliment of telling me that not only do I have beautiful blue eyes, but it's the best pronunciation of Edinburgh from a non-Scot that he's ever  heard-I'm sure;) Claire's on the phone. Edinburgh? I have a friend there! Would you drink whiskey? If I must! Side note! Can you believe it Claire? After all our talk and the fact that you wrote everything out for me, we didn't write down his name! I blame the wine, or Andrew for continuing to order it for us all! But what a fun night! 
Soooo fun in fact, I have blown off my free walking tour-it's simply too early in the morning! Probably not any fun people that early, either. Not all is lost. I download a suggested walk and take myself! It's also free, I'm just sure the tour guide is as good;)

2 comments:

  1. Megan - I finally got caught up on all your posts. I am living vicariously through you. I have never been to Europe - many opportunities just didn't take them! George spent 3 weeks in Europe last summer and can't wait to go back! Maybe I will join him next time! I love that you loved Galway! That is where my mom's descendants originate....
    I also love reading the joy and love that comes out in your writing toward your family. It shows just how much love you have been blessed with...you are an amazing sister, daughter and friend. I look forward to reading more. I love your eagerness get to know everyone you encounter. How rich will your life be at the end of your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the B of A problem....hope they eventually have to pay for your call.everything sounds so great and you are getting around amazingly...better than with me who takes a cab around the block in NYC. We miss you but love following you...hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete