Sunday, January 15, 2012

I will I will rock the Chunnel :)

Good morning, London! I am so moving here! Although I'm well aware it's the least affordable spot I've been! So to tkts I go! I'm just going to see a matinee before I leave. What will it be? I decide on We Will Rock You. I was going to do Rock of Ages, but from what I've heard (I ask in queue, at dinner, wherever) this is better. When I get to the theatre (and chuck my bag in the cloak room!) I'm seated ext to a woman who is seeing it for the fifth time! She saw it opening week almost 11 years ago! She goes on about it! Her son has not seen it yet so he and I are getting pretty excited too! I had been warned that it's long, but it moves quickly and is really fun. You get the premise? It's based on songs from Queen. Scarramoush (I don't know how to spell these things!) steals the show. She's got a great voice and is this cute little tiny thing. But nobody sings We Will Rock You like my Hankapank! It's just a fact;) now I've got to run to the train...it's
Chunnel time! I know you can't read it, but here's the gist...the Chunnel is 50.45 km in length and takes just 20 minutes to travel through-that's cool, you can't deny it. Of course I thought they'd make some sort of grand announcement (like "hold your breath!") but it's old and standard. I still think its pretty cool! We are 100 m down! And our top speed (although not tonight) is 208 mph!

There is a little boy who must need to walk around and his parents are taking turns with him (they are not in my coach, but walk through it). Wiese, this little boy is so doughy and has shiny brown hair in a bowl cut-he's a little French SB! So cute! I can't wait until you have one too! Although I don't think he'll be French. Actually, my guide in Derry was named Garvin which he said meant "little terror"....that might have to be your son's name, Megan;)

Just before I left, I checked my email so I'd know how to get to my hotel in Brugge....they've cancelled because I get in after 14:00? Eek! New plan! Stay the night in Brussels do Brussels and Brugge tomorrow and then stay the night in Antwerp. I've heard great things about Antwerp and its the diamond capital? Hello! Seriously, Belgium is all about beer, chocolate and diamonds...should I even bother going? I should just move there!

The guys across from me immediately get up when we pull from the station, the two men across from me instantly jumped up and announced "drinks!" I knew I was in the right coach! Unfortunately, there was a leak in my red wine...seems to happen to me;) fixed! It's an easy trip and I wonder why I'm not taking trains all the time! Maybe when I figure out where to "live"? I always think I can find my way automatically t where I'm going. Why? So I run in to Ibis and ask directions. The bartender (I wasn't drinking, he just looked nice) writes out a map, shows me out the window and them suggests I take a cab. What, you don't have faith I'll find it? No. He's concerned about a beautiful girl walking around alone at night. I cannot argue with that! So sweet!

Here's the thing...I'm usually that guest that you don't hear from....I check in...I try to make everything neat and orderly before I leave...I check out...I always say thank you...I don't know what the deal is tonight! I go to check in and he says I have t do it online? Then he apologizes and checks me in. I come done because there's no remote control in my room (I know I'm in Belgium and I won't be able to understand them, I just need background noise). He says he'll bring it up. I instantly feel guilty. I don't know why, I didn't lose the remote. Uh oh! When I go back up my key doesn't work! I go back down and tell him that I'm obviously looking to make trouble every ten minutes! He laughs. It gets worse....I go back up and put the kettle on (always like saying that, and there is a relaxing decaf-perfect!). Poof the lights go out! Tv is still on??? I call the front desk. Now he thinks I am really funny because it's been about ten minutes (this part of the musical needs some good music!). He will have to fix the fuse, he'll be right up and bring another teapot, would I like him to make me some tea? Seriously, why do I feel guilty? I didn't intentionally blow the fuse, plus I tried to fix it before I called:-/ he doesn't care. He just feels badly. Eventually, the lights come back on. For a second. Pretty soon I get a call. He was knocking on my door but I didn't answer. Ooops! I thought he was banging on electrical things to make lights come on...sounded nearby. He's just going to get me some more hot water for my tea and he'll be back up with it. I'll have my ear glued to the door this time! He's up immediately, so apologetic, with tea and a new tea pot and the lights are on! I am not going to touch another thing! I would hate e by now, but he smiles and says "see you in ten minutes!" another person who clearly enjoys their job, even if they have to deal with crazy people at midnight!

1 comment:

  1. I have known you a long time, Megan, and I can say with the utmost confidence, that, regardless of the time, your company was quite enjoyable for him! Can't wait to hear about the chocolate and beer (and diamonds perhaps?) tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete